What began as a harness company in 1904, Brumleve Industries has evolved through three generations of family ownership. Today, Brumleve Industries manufactures a full line of Brumleve Tarping Systems, Load Locker aluminum storage boxes, awnings, water jet services and custom metal fabrication in aluminum, steel, and stainless steel.
In 1904 Louis G. Brumleve started a harness shop on Main St. in Teutopolis. The building was located where the Post Office is presently built. His primary business was making harnesses for work horses used on the farm and as a mode of transportation. The Company was known as Louis Brumleve Co. He moved his operation to 115 West Main St. in 1909 where he continued to make and repair harness and horse collars.
Joseph L Brumleve, oldest son of Louis, came into the business in 1932 and worked with his father as a harness maker. Claude Brumleve, also Louis’s son, came into the business in 1938. In 1943 Claude left for the navy and returned to the business in 1946. In 1948 Joe and Claude became partners in the business and the name was changed to Brumleve Harness and Canvas. The primary business was harness making and canvas covers. Another addition to the business was the sale of hardware and work shoes.
In 1977, Don J Brumleve, the son of Joseph, came into the family business. In 1978 the name was changed to Brumleve Canvas Products. The leather goods, hardware and shoe lines were sold off to make room for the expanding canvas business. These included truck and trailer tarps, boat covers, and awnings, as well as custom canvas items. Also in 1978, Joseph retired from the firm but still remained associated with the operation. Claude retired in 1982. In 1986 with the expanding lines of products and the addition of a tent, table, and chair rental service, the company was incorporated and became Brumleve Canvas Products, Inc.
In 1990 the company expanded its facilities with the construction of a building located at 1317 West Main St, Teutopolis, to accommodate the expansion of the parts production and a new line of metal fabrication, Load Locker Storage Boxes. The name was once again changed to Brumleve Industries, Inc.. Then in 1997, an office/showroom, parts room, warehouse, and more production area was added and the entire operation moved to the 1317 W. Main Street location.